Responsible for helping to integrate accessibility into ways of working, enhancing a repeatable curriculum of cross-discipline accessibility training, developing internal accessibility knowledge base, and promoting inclusive digital practices through internal and external speaking engagements.
- Led and developed accessibility strategy across Talis, which resulted in a 90% reduction in WCAG issues across our two SaaS products.
- Designed and prototyped functionality allowing the discovery and creation of annotations for a video player. This had previously been impossible for keyboard and assistive technology users.
- Performed user research, created wireframes, and prototyped UI components for a React-based rewrite of a collaborative teaching and learning product.
- Facilitated group and one-to-one discovery sessions with customers; used unmoderated usability testing tools in order to measure the success of proposed solutions.
- Used analytics to guide design decisions and measure the success of design initiatives.
- Authored and maintained the Talis design system which ensured product, engineering, and design teams could move straight to solving the more complex design problems.
- Coached peers on design and engineering teams, helping them improve their understanding of accessibility and user-centred design, while promoting empathy with our student, academic, and library audiences.
- Designed and built an Angular SPA to consolidate theming options for 100+ institutions, reducing complexity for Talis services team and customers, while resolving a number of outstanding accessibility issues.
- Delivered a UI refresh of Aspire, a reading list and copyright clearance product in first six months.
- Core contributor towards an Angular SPA replacement for Talis' legacy PHP application.
- Implemented a visual refresh of Elevate, a teaching and learning product, in order to support a product-led growth initiative.
- Built and maintained WordPress theme for Talis marketing team to boost SEO and drive promotion.
- A role with multiple responsibilities, ranging from account and project management through to design & development of creative advertising solutions
- Included year in industry at Thomson Reuters.
I can trust Dan to solve any problem and know he will come back with a clear rational to help us drive better outcomes. His perspective is highly regarded as he presents well-thought out arguments and shows his thinking with data and supportive evidence. This clearly shows Dan's care in detail and adoption of a strong work ethic in providing high-quality work.–Colleague from Talis
Dan is a vital part of our UX team, and our domain expert in accessibility: his knowledge and passion for this area are clear and infectious. His early input always improves our designs and implementation, and our products are far better for Dan's involvement. While Dan's efforts have been substantial and visible here, I've also been impressed with his patience and how well he supports others - he has given talks to educate the teams, and is always on hand to help individuals who need it.–Colleague from Talis